Choose a budget you can afford and stick to it! – reevaluate your goals for the renovation, as they may have changed since first planning. Choose a new “game plan”. This way you will avoid going over-budget or being left with an unfinished home improvement project. – write up a list of the supplies you need to get the job done, and then prioritize which items to purchase first. – make a list of your home improvement questions or projects that require research — don’t forget about these because they can lead to additional costs!
Following is the 15 points checklist
- Plan out how you will execute each step in the process. Having another set of eyes (and opinions) look over your plans can be helpful. – break down the project into manageable steps, and then take it one step at a time!
- Consider hiring out some of these projects if you are unsure or unfamiliar with how to get them done well. This is especially true for plumbing, electrical work, etc. Some precautions include: ensuring that you read customer reviews, and asking for references. – make sure you get all necessary permits before starting your renos! This will avoid fines or other legal issues later on down the road.
- Be aware that there may be unforeseen costs during the renovation process — this is normal in home improvement projects! So set aside some extra money to meet these. – take before and after photos of your home renovation project! You will be so proud to look back on these memories later in life.
- If you are not living in the home during this renovation process, then make sure to keep all of your belongings safe. Consider renting self-storage space if there is no room for storage at the house! – don’t forget about insurance coverage…you definitely want it before starting any project like these! If you have additional questions or concerns about renos, consider reaching out to a trusted home renovation professional.
- Make sure to keep your home renovation project on schedule. Don’t leave any steps half done! – When the improvements are complete, you will feel so proud of all that you accomplished with this process. You may even want to share some before and after photos!
- Home renovations can seem like a difficult task at times, especially when they are not planned properly or budgeted well enough. – However, this is one of those processes that definitely pays off in the end. So set some time aside to get it done right! – The result of a well-planned and executed home renovation will be so much more rewarding.
- Make sure that when planning out each step of this process, from beginning to end. This way you will avoid going over-budget or being left with an unfinished home improvement project!
- Be sure to hire professionals when necessary, and research well before starting the process of your renovation. – All too often people run into problems during these projects that could have been prevented if they had just done a little more work. – Reevaluate your goals for the renovation, as they may have changed since first planning. Choose a new “game plan”. This way you will avoid going over-budget or being left with an unfinished home improvement project!
- Plan out how you will execute each step in the process. Having another set of eyes (and opinions) look over your plans can be helpful.
- Break down the project into manageable steps, and then take it one step at a time! While home renovation projects seem daunting to most people, they are actually achievable for everyone if planned well enough. The result of a well-planned and executed home renovation will be so much more rewarding. Don’t rush into a renovation project without thinking it through first.
- Without planning, your home renovation project can quickly get out of hand and become unmanageable! This is especially true if it’s not planned properly or budgeted well enough. A great way to start the process is by having a list that identifies what needs changing in each room. Make sure you add any smaller details such as new paint colors, flooring, etc. If you have a long list of things to change, don’t freak out! It is totally doable with some time and energy put into it. Make sure that when planning each step in the process from beginning to end, that you keep to your budget.
- Don’t forget to document the entire project with photos and videos! This will be so much fun for you later on.
- Be sure to have fun with this process! It is easy for it to become overwhelming, but make an effort to enjoy the beautiful things that come from these improvements in your life.
- Let’s face it, home renovation is a messy project that can take up lots of space and time! You definitely want to make sure that when planning each step in the process from beginning to end, that you have everything covered from start to finish. This way there will be no missing steps or unfinished projects.
- If you live in an older home, it’s important to know if any projects will require permits or inspections. These can really add up and be quite costly! You can also save upto $20,000 on renovation costs by following our simple guide
Checklist when looking at a loan for home renovation
When considering a loan for home renovation, be sure to ask the following questions:
- What is the interest rate?
- What are the terms of the loan? (How long do I have to pay it back?)
- Are there any fees associated with the loan? (application fee, processing fee, etc.)
- Will I need to provide collateral? (For example, will I need to put my house up as collateral?)
- What is the minimum amount I can borrow?
- What is the maximum amount I can borrow?
- How soon can I get the funds? (Some lenders may require you to wait several weeks or even months before receiving funds.)